sobota 15. února 2014

TV Stand/Entertainment centre - carving


After I finished all the joinery, time has come to do some carving. This was the most time consuming part of whole project a was interrupted several times, because I had to build some other pieces of furniture for my wife and my children :-)

The front apron was already cut to shape on the bandsaw. 50mm (2") thick piece of wood was used to have enough "meat" for the carvings. But this also means I had to remove a lot of material around the ornaments and I used a router to do this. Lowered surface was the made smooth using small block plane, card scraper and sandpaper.

Then ornaments was carved using carving chisels.




Legs required even more effort. First, I made hardboard template, traced it on leg blanks and cut rough shape on the bandsaw.


Last step where I can utilize machinery is to remove some material from upper portion of the leg. The blank size is 70x70mm, but this size is required for the carving, leg itself will be 50x50, with the narrow binding on two sides. So I made simple jig for my router and routed all for legs. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of this step.

Then I could start with carving. I used bench chisels to remove most of the material and finished carving with carving chisels. Everything is then sanded up to 320 grit sandpaper. 


Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat