pátek 13. února 2015

Chairs for children

A couple months ago I posted several articles about a writing desk for my son. We planned to buy a modern, metal chair on casters, but we had no luck at local stores. My son isn't very tall and he couldn't reach the floor with his legs, because minimum height of chairs was 36cm. I was thinking about making some box he can rest his legs on, but then I decided to build small wooden chair. And after he will grow a little bit, I can buy the bigger one on casters.
And because I have two children, I had to built two chairs at once.

I didn't need to buy wood for this project, because I had few pieces of beech at home. They were leftovers from my workbench built last summer.

Legs are 30 by 30mm square, the back ones are cut to shape on bandsaw a shaped to final shape on my router table using  template and straight bit with guide bearing. Curved back slats are cut on bandsaw and the cut was cleaned with hand plane on the outer side. Because I don't have a plane which is able to do the same for inner, concave side, I had to improvise. I used angle grinder with sandpaper disc, very carefully. And then sanded everything using flexible sanding strips.

Parts are joined with classical mortise and tenon joinery. I'm always doing mortises first, usually using a router. In this case, they are 8mm thisk. Tenons are cut on table saw and fitted with rabet plane.

The seat is slightly carved using angle grinder with sandpaper disc.

All edges are rounded to 3,2mm radius, except back slats, which have 6,3mm radius. Finish is the same dye as on writing desk and water based lacquer on top.

The seat height is 32cm a it is just the right height for my kids at this time.




Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat