neděle 18. května 2014

Writing desk for a school kid


My six year old son is going to attend school in September and will need a desk to do his homework. Of course this could be a nice project, so I did a google search for some inspiration. I wanted a desk with a bank of drawers on each side with a table top on them. Table top should also be tiltable.

Main inspiration was a picture named "art deco table" with no aditional info. But I liked the concept. Did some changes however.  I wanted the table to grow with the child, but I didn't like the style seen in most furniture stores. There are usually wide legs with lot of holes and pins to set the height. Simple, functional but ugly.

My solution is to make several bases with different heights and when child will grow, simply change the base. 

Sketchup drawing of the table

For the material I've chosen oak. 

I had several boards at home from my last visit at local mill. I needed it to build some planters for my wife and several small things around the house. I picked few boards more and now time came to use them. 

All the boards were 33mm thick, so I resawed them and planed to thickness. I ended up with boards 19mm thick and 6mm thick. So I made sides of the cabinets from 19mm boards and back of the cabinet as frame from 19mm boards and panel from 6mm boards.

Drawer dividers are connected with sliding dovetails.




This is a dry assembly before final sanding up to 180 grit.

These are parts for the base. I used biscuits for better alignment, but I'll add  square blocks of wood to the corners with screws for rigidity. 



Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat