úterý 6. října 2015

Small oak cabinet


My wife asked me to build a cabinet to store some things from the kitchen which are not used so often and thus can be stored in the corridor next to the kitchen. She wanted a cabinet with a double door and one drawer above. Using Sketchup I designed this.




I'm going to use oak for this project and plan to darken it with amonia. Then I'll put an oil finish on it. All the construction will be made using frames and flat pannels, which is a litle bit of work but I like it very much.

Here is how the joinery will be done using mortises and tennons.




My boards bought on local saw mill are 33mm thick. This time I found some really nice and wide pieces, some of them was 60cm wide. I milled them to rough dimensions and let them sit in my shop for a few days. Then I glued four corner post from two layers of wood and milled them to 40x40mm.

Mortises and dadoes are cut using hand held router, tennons are cut on table saw and cleaned with rabbet plane and chisels. After I dry assembled cabinet sides, I realised, I should add small beading around the perimeter. But I couldn't simply route them since they wouldn't match in the corners. So I routed them on horizontal  rails only and for stiles I made them separately and glued them on.  




Cabinet back is usually made from plywood or MDF since it is not visible. But as I want to use amonia to darken the wood, I need all the parts to be made of the same wood. Plus I had lot of ofcuts laying around the shop, not suitable for visible parts of the cabinet, so I glued them together and made a frame.  The wood I buy is usually 33mm thick and when I need something less then 20mm, it would be a big waste of material to simply plane it down, turning some 13mm of wood to chips. So I'm resawing the boards and what's left after are board of thickness about 8-9mm, which can be glued together and planed easily to 6mm. And this is exactly what I did for back panel of my cabinet.

Dry assembly of back panel.



Doors are again simple mortise and tennon construction. Upper rail has a decorative curve on it which I cut on the bandsaw and using template routed to exact shape. I wanted the grain to follow that curve (not my idea, I've seen it on Youtube :-) ) so I tried to find some wood where the grain naturaly curves around some knot or other defect in wood. I think I have found such a pieces, but after finish I will see the result. 


Now I want to do some tests because I'm not sure what type of panels will suit the doors better - flat or raised. I'm inclined to use flat panels now.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat